Meet Dr. Vick Chahal
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Meet Dr. Chahal
Dr. Vick Chahal is a Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon at the South Health Campus and a Clinical Lecturer with the Cumming School of Medicine at the University of Calgary.
Prior to moving to Calgary, he served as the Chief of the Division of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery at Grand River Hospital and St. Mary’s General Hospital in Kitchener, Ontario and was a Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery at McMaster University’s DeGroote School of Medicine.
He completed his Honours Bachelor of Arts and Science degree at McMaster University. He graduated medical school from the University of Western Ontario. He was completed his plastic surgery residency at the University of Western Ontario in one of Canada’s top surgical training programs. During his final year, he was selected as the Chief Plastic Surgery Resident. After residency, he was awarded a prestigious fellowship in Breast Reconstruction at the University of British Columbia.
He is a board certified plastic surgeon by the Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Canada and is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. He is a member in good standing of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta and the Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons.
Dr. Chahal has an interest in health care administration and physician leadership and completed an MBA at the University of Tennessee. He has a strong passion for medical education and has a Master of Education in the Health Professions from Johns Hopkins University. He was awarded a Post-Master’s Certificate in Evidence Based Teaching from Johns Hopkins University. He has been recognized numerous times for his teaching efforts at the University of Calgary. His deep concern for improving community health outcomes led him to seek further education in the field of Epidemiology culminating in a Master of Public Health at Harvard University.
He is an advocate for patient safety and quality improvement and completed the graduate certificate course in Patient Safety and Quality Management from the Health Quality Council of Alberta and the University of Calgary.
Dr. Chahal is the Lead Physician for Continuing Medical Education in the Department of Surgery at the University of Calgary. He also serves as the Director of Undergraduate Medical Education for the Section of Plastic Surgery at the Cumming School of Medicine.
Dr. Chahal was born and raised in Kingston Ontario. His wife Prabhdeep and him are the proud parents of two daughters and a son. When he is not busy working, Dr. Chahal and his family enjoy spending time outdoors exploring the beautiful nature and wildlife that Alberta has to offer.
Medical Training and Education
- Bachelor of Arts and Science (B. Arts Sc) – McMaster University
- Doctor of Medicine (MD) – University of Western Ontario
- FRCS(C) – Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery – University of Western Ontario
- Breast Reconstruction Fellowship – University of British Columbia
- Physician Executive MBA with focus on Health Administration – University of Tennessee
- Master of Education in the Health Professions – Johns Hopkins University
- Post-Master’s Certificate in Evidence-Based Teaching in the Health Professions – Johns Hopkins University
- Patient Safety and Quality Management Graduate Certificate Program – Health Quality Council of Alberta and University of Calgary
- Master of Public Health (MPH) in Epidemiology – Harvard University
- Certified Physician Executive (CPE) – American College of Physician Executives
Honours & Awards
- Honour Roll in Recognition of Outstanding Teaching (University of Calgary)
- Best Abstract MPH Epidemiology Class of 2017 (Harvard University)
- Future Leader (College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario)
- Resident Teaching Award (University of Western Ontario)
- Hero of Communist Labour (City of Tomsk, Russia)
- Operation Smile Medical Student Award
- Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry Travel Award (University of Western Ontario)
- Hannah Institute Studentship in History of Medicine
- Medical Student Research Training Program (SRTP) (University of Western Ontario)
- African Medical and Research Foundation (AMREF) Research Scholarship
- Academic All-OUA Team – Mens Fencing Team (Epee) (McMaster University)
- John D. Schultz Science Student Scholarship (Ontario Heart & Stroke Foundation)
- Dean’s Honour List (McMaster University)
- Chancellors’ Scholarship (McMaster University)
- Achievers Frontenac (Frontenac County Board of Education Hall of Fame)
- University of Toronto National Book Award
Invited Teaching Engagements & Presentations
Soft Tissue Wounds, Wound Healing and Skin Cancer (April 2020) – Surgical Clerkship Seminar Series – University of Calgary
Common Hand Problems and Facial Injuries (April 2020) – Surgical Clerkship Seminar Series – University of Calgary
Wound Healing & Burn Management (January 2020) Surgical Foundations Lecture – University of Calgary
Principles of Wound Management and Extremity Reconstruction (November 2019) – Medical School Lecture – University of Calgary
Approach to Bone Tumours (October 2019) City Wide Hand Rounds – University of Calgary
Tissue Handling, Dissection, Wound Closure and Management (July 2019) – Surgical Skills Residency Boot Camp – University of Calgary
Surgical Biopsy (July 2019) – Surgical Skills Residency Boot Camp – University of Calgary
Professionalism and Physician Competence (January 2019) – CanMEDs Plastic Surgery Rounds – University of Calgary
Teaching and Learning in Surgical Situations (May 2016) – Surgical Fellows and Extended Residents Teaching Retreat – University of Calgary
Identification and Treatment of Tendon Injuries (January 2016) – Hand Review Course – University of Calgary
Implementation of a Modified Surgical Safety Checklist in the Waterloo-Wellington Local Health Integrated Network (May 2015) – Waterloo-Wellington Clinical Research and Quality Improvement Symposium – McMaster University – Waterloo Regional Campus
Development of a Modified Surgical Safety Checklist for the Minor Out-Patient Procedure Room (March 2015) – Patient Safety Conference – University of Calgary
How to Manage Hand Conditions in Primary Care and When to Refer to Plastic Surgery (February 2015) – Family Medicine Conference – McMaster University – Waterloo Regional Campus
An Overview of Autologous and Alloplastic Breast Reconstruction Options following Post-Radical Mastectomy (February 2008) – Allergan National Sales Meeting – Whistler BC
A Prospective Randomized Control Trial Comparing Model-Assisted to Traditional Open Reduction and Internal Fixation of Zygomatico-Maxillary Complex Fractures (June 2007) Canadian Society of Plastic Surgery (CSPS) Annual Meeting – Banff AB
Discussing the Origins of Plastic Surgery (March 2001) – CBC Radio Calgary Eye-Opener with Jeff Collins
Dadgostar A, Bigder M, Punjani N, Lozo S, Chahal V, Kavanagh A. Does Preoperative Depression Predict Post-Operative Surgical Pain: A Systematic Review. International Journal of Surgery. May 2017; 41:162-173.
Chahal V, Lacey MS. The Use of Autologous Free Fat Grafts in Children with Hemifacial Atrophy. Annals of Plastic Surgery. Submitted.
Chahal V. The Role of War in the Development of Plastic Surgery. University of Western Ontario Medical Journal. Spring 2002; 72(1).
Chahal V, Lacey MS. Surgical Options for the Correction of Craniofacial Soft Tissue Defects. University of Western Ontario Medical Journal. Fall 2001; 71(2): 38.
Chahal V. Operation Smile: Changing Lives Smile by Smile. The Medical Post. October 2, 2001; 37(33):42.
Chahal V, Marignani M. The Evolution of Nasal Reconstruction: The Origins of Plastic Surgery. In: Proceedings of the 10th Annual History of Medicine Days. W.A. Whitelaw (Ed.). University of Calgary, AB. October 2001; 10(1):42-49.
Chahal V. The Progress of Cleft Lip and Palate Repair [Abstract]. Annals: The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC). September 2001; 34(6):5.
Chahal V. Advancements in the Treatment of Burns [Abstract]. Annals: The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC). September 2001; 34(6):4.
Chahal V. Through the Surface of the Skin: Inside the World of Dr. Brian Evans and Plastic Surgery. Project Think Report 2001. Hippocratic Council, UWO. August 2001.
Chahal V, Marignani M. The Evolution of Nasal Reconstruction: The Origins of Plastic Surgery [Abstract]. Programme for the 10th Annual History of Medicine Days. University of Calgary, AB. March 2001; 10(1):7.
Chahal V. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: A Review for Medical Students. The Pulse. Canadian Federation of Medical Students. March 2001; 1(2).